Saturday 31 October 2015

Along The Narmada At Maheshwar & Mandleshwar

The distance from Omkareshwar to Maheshwar is 81kms. Covering this distance in the MP state transport bus, with its numerous halts takes a time equivalent of watching a standard length Hindi movie - the Amitabh Bacchan and Vinod Khanna starer Parvarish as in my case.

Arrving at Maheshwar at about 1:30pm, my first task was too find a place to eat. The only thing I'd eaten in Omkareshwar the day before was the spicy khichadi helped down with loads of curd. I was in better health today, and so I decided to have a better meal, but was quite apprehensive for the quality. Right next to the Maheshwar bus stop is the Gurukripa Bhojanalay. The sight of a Sikh sitting behind the counter was one of the most reassuring things I've ever seen in my life!!!

The next thing after the delicious thali at Gurukripa was to find a place to crash. There were a few places around the bus stand, but I decided to venture near the fort and the Ghats for a better location. I found one to my liking and budget just outside the fort. Maheshwar, being a seat of erstwhile royalty, has quite a few top-end places as well. There's loads of choice.

I set out to explore the place - mostly the fort and the ghats - after a nap at around 5pm, still taking swigs of the ORS. I'd simply say, I love the place. The ghats at Maheshwar are majestic and coupled with the facade of the fort and palace, present a magnificent view. I just casually strolled about the place, taking in the views and noting the splendid pre-modern Hindu architecture.

The cenotaphs by the ghats

The Raj-Rajeshwar Temple

Temple complex of Maheshwar

Temple complex  

The statue of Ahilyabai Holkar, Maheshwar is greatly indebted to her

Temple complex views

Guardians

It was then, as I stepped out to the ghats when I saw the most splendid post-sunset light play I've ever seen in my life.

The colours of Maheshwar twilight

Dinner followed at Gurukripa again - I was in love with that place. I slept early. I took a round of the ghats again early morning, and followed it up with a breakfast at the Mediterranean themed Labboos Cafe inside the fort. It looked like a good place to chill. These guys also offer accommodation in restored guard rooms of the fort. Should be fun to try some day.

I checked out early in a bid to cover the ghats of Mandleshwar on my way back to Khandwa for my train to Mumbai; actually, Dhamnod is a mere 13km away from Maheshwar with brilliant bus connectivity with Mumbai via the Mumbai-Agra Highway is a better port of entry-exit. Anyway, the ghats of Mandleshwar resemble more of a promenade, though some work is in progress to make it more attractive. I reached the ghats by noon, and the cool breeze blowing there meant that I absolutely had to sit down and soak it all in. I had company of a band of dhol boys who were chattering in a frenzy - mostly fun.




The steps and temples of Mandleshwar, with the dhol boys
 
My return journey to Khandwa via Barwaha was spent again in the drivers cabin where I got some conversation flowing and was treated to complementary tea and some friendly advice.


My bus ride ...

It was about 4pm by the time I arrived at Khandwa and had almost an hour at my disposal. So I decided to visit the second most visited place in Khandwa after the railway station - Kishore Kumar's birthplace. This now dilapidated structure - Ganguly House, Gowri Kunj - was once privy to the innocence and joy of Kishore Da's childhood. I met the caretaker there - an old man of seventy - who recounted the old days when Kishore Da would frequent the place. I gave him a small tip and returned to the railway station to while my time off till the train arrived.


I should've taken a selfie here ... this looks like a mugshot of the poor guy

Ganguly House - Gowri Kunj

My first trip to MP was about to come to an end. I'd seen quite a bit, I'd learnt quite a bit - more about myself, than anything else. I'd be back soon, there's a lot to know in MP.

© Kapil Pilankar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post